Little Women, which received six Academy Award nominations, hits Blu-ray and DVD on April 7 via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The picture, directed by Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird), also arrives on Digital March 10. And yes, per my headline, I believe this movie is a classic!!
Little Women had its share of critical acclaim, but in truth there are other viewers/critics who were thrown off by Greta Gerwig’s non-linear narrative. I absolutely loved that approach, and the performances of the March sisters Jo (Saoirse Ronan), Meg (Emma Watson), Amy (Florence Pugh) and Beth (Eliza Scanlen) were all top notch. Timothée Chalamet co-stars as Jo’s close friend and neighbor Laurie, with Oscar winning actresses Laura Dern and Meryl Streep playing the matriarch and Aunt March.
The extras include over 45 minutes of content. Special features include:
- A New Generation of Little Women: Interviews with the cast from the feature.
- Making a Modern Classic: This segment focuses on how kinetic camerawork and the overlapping dialogue are applied in this version of Little Women.
- Greta Gerwig: Women Making Art: An interview with writer/director Greta Gerwig, as she talks about how she brought her vision to this classic story.
- Hair & Make-Up Test Sequence: A featurette that spotlights the costumes, hair and make-up for the feature.
- Little Women Behind the Scenes: A look at the making of the production.
- Orchard House, Home of Louisa May Alcott: Details on the author’s real-life Orchard House in Concord, Massachusetts.
Were you a fan of Greta Gerwig’s version of Little Women? Feel free to comment below!
***During the press conference for Maggie’s Plan, I asked her about her love for screen actresses from yesteryear, and she talked about her love for Carole Lombard (she also mentions Diane Keaton in the clip):