Although it’s accurate to describe The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part I as a disappointment, those expectations should be tempered considering it is: A) The #1 movie in this weekend and B) It made a whopping $123 million!
The first two Hunger Games films opened up substantially better with a weekend debut take of $152 and $158 million, and maybe the oft-used phrase “sequel fatigue” may apply to the franchise. Still, Mockingjay dominated the rest of the competition, with Big Hero 6 a million miles behind with a $20.1 million haul. Here’s the top 10:
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 – Katniss Everdeen’s arrows still hit the mark. $123 million
- Big Hero 6 – One of this year’s finest films, Big Hero 6 took in $20.1 million. Domestically, it’s reached over $135.7 million.
- Interstellar – Dad and daughter space opera from Christopher Nolan makes $15.1 million. To date, it’s grossed $120.69 million stateside.
- Dumb and Dumber To – $13.8 million
- Gone Girl – $2.815 million
- Beyond The Lights – $2.63 million
- St. Vincent – $1.9 million
- Fury – $1.9 million and with just $79.15 earned domestically, this WWII tank film has been a slight disappointment for Sony.
- Birdman – $1.855 million
- The Theory of Everything – $2.79 million, but it’s per screen average of $10,700 bodes well for the film’s theatrical longevity.