Los Angeles based indie rock band Family of the Year are heading on tour this fall with Houndmouth in support of their new album Goodbye Sunshine, Hello Nighttime. Tickets go on sale today at 10 a.m. pt. The tour starts off September 15 at Salt Lake City, Utah’s Commonwealth Room.
Family of the Year’s breakout hit was “Hero,” a track that was prominently featured in director Richard Linklater’s Oscar winning film Boyhood. But one song doesn’t define an outfit or ensure their longevity, and melancholic (and melodic) tunes as “Bitter Mind” and “Let Her Go” find the outfit in a creatively inspired space. The group consists of Joe Keefe (vocals, guitar), Sebastian Keefe (drums, vocals), James Buckey (guitar, vocals), and Christina Schroeter (keyboards, vocals).
Blessed with wonderful harmonies, spot on musicianship, and eloquent (and clear-eyed) storytelling, Family of the Year is definitely a band I hope to catch somewhere down the road. If you’ve seen them perform live, I’d love to hear your thoughts (please comment below!).
Family of the Year Tour Dates (w/ Houndmouth)
- September 15 – Salt Lake City, Utah (Commonweath Room)
- September 16 – Missoula, MT (The Wilma)
- September 17 – Seattle, WA (The Showbox)
- September 19 – Vancouver, BC (Commodore Ballroom)
- September 20 – Portland, OR (Crystal Ballroom)
- September 22 – San Francisco, CA (The Fillmore)
- September 25 – San Luis Obispo, CA (SLO Brew)
- September 26 – San Diego, CA (Observatory North Park)
- September 28 – Los Angeles, CA (El Rey)
- October 2 – Tucson, AZ (The Rialto Theatre)
- October 3 – Santa Fe, NM (Meow Wolf)
- October 5 – El Paso, TX (Lowbrow Palace)
- October 9 – Little Rock, AR (Revolution Music Room)
- October 10 – Nashville, TN (Marathon Music Works)
- October 12 – Memphis, TN (Minglewood Hall)
- October 13 – New Orleans, LA (Republic)