Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles beat out a tree named Groot and a bunch of action hero OGs (old guys) to retain the #1 spot at the box-office, as it took in $28.4 million. Let’s Be Cops had the best debut among the newbies, as The Expendables 3 and The Giver took the #4 and #5 spots. Here’s the top 10:
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – $28.4 million
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Audiences are still hooked on a feeling, as the Marvel flick took in $24.74 million
- Let’s Be Cops – With a production budget of $17 million, this buddy cop film does solid business behind The New Girl duo Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr. – $17.7 million.
- The Expendables 3 – The old guys huff and puff their way to fourth place with $16.6 million. Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, and Wesley Snipes are the new additions.
- The Giver – Although it debuted at a disappointing fifth with $12.76 million, The Giver was made for just an estimated $25 million. Expect the movie to at least break even.
- Into The Storm – $7.72 million.
- The Hundred-Foot Journey – $7.1 million.
- Lucy – With over $107 million domestically, it’s safe to say Scarlett Johansson can carry her own action movie. Black Widow, anyone? Lucy made $5.3 million over the weekend.
- Step Up All In – $2.7 million
- Boyhood – One of the year’s best and most ambitious films. Should be remembered come Oscar nomination time. $2.15 million.
In the following clip, Teenage Mutant Ninja actress Megan Fox talks about being a big fan of TMNT: