Split Second, the 1992 sci-fi flick starring Rutger Hauer and Kim Cattrall, makes its North American high definitition Blu-ray debut on August 11. Tony Maylam (Journal of a Contract Killer, The Burning) directed the feature and Gary Scott Thompson (creator of the TV series Las Vegas) penned the script.
Split Second centers on “Harley” Stone (Rutger Hauer) a cop who lost his partner to a serial killer who may not be human. This murderer’s next target could be Stone’s girlfriend Michelle (Kim Cattrall). With rookie detective Durkin (Alastair “Neil” Duncan), Stone is determined to find and destroy this evil force of nature, and if he fails at his mission, it will be over in (you guessed it!) a split second!!
Rounding out the cast are Michael J. Pollard (Oscar nominee for Bonnie and Clyde) and Pete Postlethwaite (The Town and Oscar nominee for In the Name of the Father).
The Blu-ray comes with a slew of new features as well as legacy extras:
- High Definition (1080p) presentation of Split Second in its original 1:85:1 aspect ration. Film is newly scanned, restored and color graded in 4K from the 35MM internegative.
- Audio 2.0 LPCM Stereo
- English Subtitles
- Audio commentary from action film historian Mike Leeder and filmmaker Arne Venema. (NEW)
- “Great Big Bloody Guns!” – Producer Laura Gregory and actor Alastair “Neil” Duncan discuss the film. (27:25, NEW)
- “Call Me Mr. Snips!” – Interview with composer Stephen W. Parsons (22:21, NEW)
- “More Blood!” – Interview with Creature Effects Designer Cliff Wallace (32:03, NEW)
- “Stay In Line!” – Interview with Line Producer Laurie Borg (23:23, NEW)
- “Shoot Everything” – Interview with Cinematographer Clive Tickner (18:57, NEW)
- Original Making of Featurette on Split Second – Interviews with Rutger Hauer, Kim Cattrall, Alastair (Neil) Duncan, Michael J. Pollard, and Writer Gary Scott Thompson (6:26)
- Original Behind the Scenes featurette with Special Effects creator Stephen Norrington, cast and crew (3:41)
- Split Second Japanese Cut, full frame with Japanese subtitles
- Deleted Scenes from the Japanese Cut (4:42)
- Seven Promotional TV Clips
- U.S. VHS Home Video Promo
- Theatrical Trailer
- MVD Exclusive: Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by The Dude Designs created exclusive for the Blu-Ray release.
- Collectible Mini-Poster featuring VHS style artwork
“Collectors have been waiting for this release for a long time. While MVD licensed this film almost two years ago, as a fellow collector, it was important to me to get this release right,” said Eric D. Wilkinson, MVD Entertainment Group Director of Acquisition and Sales. “At the time of the acquisition, MVD was originally provided with an older HD master, but I felt we could do better. With the help of Joe Rubin, we began a search for the best materials to scan. Once we had a beautiful new master I then reached out to 101 Films, who control the rights to Split Second in the UK, and we worked together creating new bonus materials and locating classic material in order to make this truly the definitive release of Split Second in both North America and the UK. I want to thank the 101 Films team for all of their hard work and thank the fans for their continued support of our collectors’ label. I promise it was worth the wait!”