When I think of Olivia de Havilland, my mind wanders to her memborable work in The Heiress and Gone With The Wind. Thanks to Arrow Academy, the July release of Hold Back The Dawn may change that perception!
Directed by Mitchell Leisen (Remember the Night), Hold Back The Dawn centers on Georges Iscovescu (Gaslight’s Charles Boyer), a Romanian gigolo who seeks entry to the United States via a Mexican border town. Faced with a waiting tight of eight years, he is persuaded by his ex-dancing partner Anita (Paulette Goddard) to marry an American girl.
That individual is school teacher Emmy Brown (Olivia de Havilland), and ultimately his plans take a different turn after he develops real feelings for his mark. The picture, which received six Oscar nods, was co-written by Billy Wilder (Some Like It Hot).
The special features on the high definition Blu-ray (1080p) are as follows:
- Audio commentary by film scholar Adrian Martin and a video appreciation by film critic Geoff Andrew titled “Love Knows No Borders.”
- “The Guardian Lecture: Olivia de Havilland” – It’s an audio interview with de Havilland that was recorded at the National Film Theatre in 1971.
- Hour long radio adaptation of the film featuring Charles Boyer, Paulette Goddard, and Susan Hayward.
- Gallery of original stills and promo images.
- Original trailer, and a reversible sleeve featured newly commissioned artwork by Jennifer Dionisio.
- Purchasers of the first pressing will receive an illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the movie by critic Farran Smith Nehme.
Hold Back The Dawn hits Blu-ray July 16, and you can order the title via MVD Entertainment Group Shop.