As expected, Avengers: Age of Ultron was the #1 film at the box-office this Mothers Day weekend. The big surprise came from the Reese Witherspoon/Sofia Vergara comedy Hot Pursuit, which was #2 but performed below expectations ($13.3 million).
The Blake Lively drama The Age of Adaline continues to perform well, as it took in $5.6 million for a total domestic haul of $31.5 million. Critically acclaimed sci-fi thriller Ex Machina, directed by 28 Days Later and Sunshine scribe Alex Garland, opened up in bigger markets this weekend and collected $3.47 million.
Here’s the top 10:
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – $77.2 million. Domestic totals to date: $312 million
- Hot Pursuit – Though it stars Reese Witherspoon and Sofia Vergara, the heat just wasn’t on for this comedy. It opens with a disappointing $13.3 million
- The Age of Adaline – $5.6 million
- Furious 7 – $5.27 million
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 – $5.19 million
- Ex Machina – Science fiction at its best. Hopefully this movie continues to draw business. $3.47 million
- Home – $3 million
- Woman in Gold – $1.65 million
- Cinderella – $1.57 million
- Unfriended – $1.41 million